Be a Visitor
The FWCC Visitation Planning Committee for the Section of the Americas appoints visitors to yearly meeting sessions. Decisions are made at Annual Meeting, usually in mid-March.
If you would like to be considered as an official FWCC visitor, please read the following information and then fill out the Interest Survey as soon as possible.
What is expected of a FWCC visitor?
- Be knowledgeable about the work of the Section of the Americas and about Friends within your own yearly meeting tradition
- Support representatives to FWCC as they share the Section’s work with their yearly meeting
- Listen, learn and reflect on your own insights, and contribute them as way opens
- Share your experience with everyone!
- Upon returning, submit a written report of your experience.
Who can represent FWCC at yearly meeting sessions?
Both current and former representatives and others with first-hand experience of Friends World Committee within the Americas are welcome to apply. Visitors should be able to effectively communicate the message of FWCC to Friends who might have limited, or no, prior knowledge of the work of FWCC.
What should I do next?
- Give careful consideration to why you feel led to visit a particular yearly meeting on behalf of FWCC.
- Fill out the Interest Survey
- Wait to be contacted by a member of the Visitation Planning Committee or staff. Do not contact any yearly meeting directly at this point. If you are selected to be an official visitor, all correspondence regarding your visit will be handled between the Section office and the yearly meeting.
- Think about what you will write in a short, one-page profile about yourself that will be shared with the yearly meeting upon confirmation of your visit.
What about costs?
While FWCC sets aside some funds for visitation, many visitors contribute some or all of the visitation costs. This is greatly appreciated and helps make more visits possible. However, ability to pay one’s own way is not a prerequisite for being selected as a visitor.